A dental cleaning is a procedure performed by a dental hygienist. In short, dental cleanings are part of preventative dental care. This procedure maintains healthy teeth while preventing gum disease.
Normal teeth brushing and flossing are great for at-home care. However, a dental cleaning further benefits your smile. In brief, the cleaning maintains proper oral hygiene and prevents the occurrence of oral disease. Plaque and tartar are the main reasons why dental health is important. Plaque is a sticky bacterial film that hardens into plaque. This occurs due to the foods we eat and bacteria in our mouth. Normal tooth brushing and flossing help to remove plaque daily. However, a dental cleaning reaches those difficult to reach areas and removes any buildup. Thoroughly removing plaque and tartar benefit your mouth. It prevents tooth decay, periodontal disease, and tooth loss. Dental cleanings are recommended every 6 months, or as per the recommendation of your dentist. Furthermore, proper oral hygiene is not only essential for your dental health but your overall health as well.
There are two forms of dental cleanings: regular dental cleaning and deep dental cleaning, which is determined by your dentist. Deep dental cleaning is usually recommended for patients who have not had a regular dental cleaning in more than a year. The procedure is similar to a regular teeth cleaning. However, the tartar is removed from below the gum line.
A dental cleaning begins with a dental exam. The doctor will evaluate your teeth and gums. If no additional treatments are needed right away, the dental cleaning may proceed.
A teeth cleaning last about an hour or less, and consists of the following:
- Removal of tartar and plaque- this is a technical procedure that uses a small mirror and scaler. The hygienist removes all traces of tartar and plaque from the teeth and gum line.
- Cleaning with toothpaste- An electronic toothbrush and gritty paste polishes your teeth. Some surface stains are also removed.
- Rinsing and fluoride treatment- Once the cleaning is complete, you rinse your mouth with water. Some patients may need a fluoride treatment that protects teeth from decay.
Why is a Dental Cleaning Important?
This procedure has numerous benefits which include:
- Removal of tartar and plaque
- Prevention of dental issues and gum disease
- Helps you to maintain proper oral and dental hygiene
- Learn tips on how to maintain your oral health
- Leaves your teeth clean, sparkling and healthy
Schedule Your Teeth Cleaning Today
Worcester Quality Dental offers the best dental services including teeth cleanings. Our staff is friendly and assures you feel comfortable throughout your visit. Therefore, let us know if you have any questions or concerns about dental cleanings. In addition, we serve patients of all ages, so we invite you to bring your family. Call (508) 754-0918 or book an appointment online. New patients are welcome and most insurances are accepted. Moreover, we are located at 715 Pleasant Street Worcester, MA 01602. We look forward to meeting you!